October is finally here, which means pumpkins, apple cider, changing leaves and of course: Oktoberfest! Believe it or not, Oktoberfest, which was first held in 1810 as a wedding celebration in Bavaria, is now mostly celebrated in the middle to end of September, since the weather tends to be better during those weeks.
But don’t worry: There are still plenty of Oktoberfest celebrations to be had in the month of October, and if you haven’t been saving your shekels to fly to Munich, you can enjoy one of these top Oktoberfest celebrations in the United States.
And of course, when attending any Oktoberfest, don’t forget our free, mobile-friendly German Oktoberfest Language Guide, which will teach you how to order a beer, cheers, amuse your friends and flirt with the sexy, dirndl-clad ladies of Bavaria.
And now, your top 2012 Oktoberfest Celebrations in the United States taking place in October:
- Big Bear Lake, California: On it’s 42nd year, the Big Bear Lake Oktoberfest, which claims fame to California’s #1 Okoberfest, has already kicked off and will be hosted every weekend until October 27th.
- Fredericksburg, Texas: Boasting a rich German heritage, Fredericksburg’s bier-consuming celebration takes place from October 5th – October 7th, 2012.
- Helen, Georgia: “Beer, brats, bands and lederhosen: The 42nd Annual Helen Oktoberfest has them all!” If you’re down in Georgia, be sure to check out this fest, running daily, now through October 28th.
- La Crosse, Wisconsin: Dubbed “Oktoberfest USA”, La Crosse, WI celebrates its 52nd US-based Oktoberfest this year, running now until October 6th.
- Lake Worth, Florida: Hosted by the German-American Club of Palm Beach, this Oktoberfest celebration has bands directly from Munich, two weekends of fun and a whole lot of beer.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: As the only Oktoberfest in downtown Milwaukee, hosted in Pere Marquette Park, this celebration kicks off on October 5th for two straight days.
Have another fest to add to our list? Email us and we’ll add it. Prost!